martes, 24 de junio de 2014

English - Idioms about happiness

Fill in the blanks by using appropriate idioms

  • When she told me if I wanted to get married, I was ____________________ nine

  • When I passed my last exam, I was _______________________ tails.

  • Why are you __________________ spring? Have you won a prize?

  • When she could finally buy her house, she was _________________ moon.

  • Lucy has been ___________________air since she was promoted to managing director.

English - Idioms about happiness


Answers

  • When she told me if I wanted to get married, I was ____________________ nine
When she told me if I wanted to get married, I was on a cloud nine
Cuando ella me dijo que si quería casarme, yo estaba extremadamente feliz

  • When I passed my last exam, I was _______________________ tails.
When I passed my last exam, I was like a dog with two tails.
Cuando aprobé mi último examen, esbaba como un perro con dos colas. (Estaba extremadamente feliz)

  • Why are you __________________ spring? Have you won a prize?
Why are you full of the joys of spring? Have you won a prize?
¿Por qué estás tan sumamente feliz? ¿Has ganado un premio? (Lit. ¿Por qué estás tan lleno de alegría de primavera?)

  • When she could finally buy her house, she was _________________ moon.
When she could finally buy her house, she was over the moon.
Cuando ella finalmente pudo comprar su casa, estaba muy felliz. (Lit. Estaba sobre la luna)

  • Lucy has been ___________________air since she was promoted to managing director.
Lucy has been walking on air since she was promoted to managing director.
Lucy ha estado flotando/en las nubes/caminando por el aire desde que fue ascendida a directora ejecutiva.

Extra examples & explanation:

On cloud nine: To be very happy because something wonderful has happened. Estar muy feliz porque algo maravilloso ha sucedido.

  • When her son found a job, she was on cloud nine. Cuando su hijo encontró trabajo, ella estuvo extremadamente feliz.

Like a dog with two tails: When a person is like a dog with two tails, they are extremely happy. Cuando una persona está "como un perro con dos colas", está extremadamente feliz. 

  • When I knew that all the students had passed, I was like a dog with two tails. Cuando supe que todos los estudianes habían aprobado, me sentí extremadamente feliz (como un perro con dos colas)

Full of the joys of spring: When a person is happy and full of energy. Cuando una persona está feliz y llena de energía.

  • Right now Thomas is full of joys of spring. He is going to have a baby soon. Justo ahora Thomas está muy feliz. Va a tener un bebé pronto. 

Over the moon: To be over the moon about something = To be very happy about something. Estar muy feliz acerca de algo.

  • When his girlfriend was recovered, Dennis was over the moon! Cuando su novia se recuperó, Dennis estuvo muy feliz.

Walking on air: If someone is walking on air, they feel as if they are floating, they are walking on air. They are really happy. Si alguien está andando en el aire, se siente como si está flotantdo, andando en el aire. Está realmente feliz.

  • When Almodobar won the Oscar, he walked on air. Cuando Almodobar ganó el Oscar, el estuvo muy feliz (andando en el aire/en las nubes)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario