martes, 25 de marzo de 2014

English: Rephrasing (Grateful)

If you hadn't helped us, we would have failed. We are grateful for your help

EXTRA NOTES:

Grateful:
Grateful (to somebody) for something
Grateful to do something

Examples:
I am eternally grateful to my parents for all their support.
We had a dangerous journey. We felt grateful to be at home.

Appreciate:
Appreciate is usually followed by it. Don't say 'I would appreciate if ...', say 'I would appreciate it if ...'

Examples:
Wrong: I would appreciate if you could help me.
Correct: I would appreciate it if you could help me.

Please, be aware of the spelling: Appreciate

DO / DOES as auxiliary verb: emphatic use
The meaning of do (We do appreciate it.) is really.

We do not normally use do or does in affirmative sentences. However, they can be used for emotive or contrastive emphasis. Try to give them extra stress in pronunciation.


Houses of Parliament, London

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario