martes, 23 de septiembre de 2014

English: Like and As

Please fill the gaps with "like" or "as"

1) Paul is really kind. He gave me this present ________ a birthday present.
2) My friend Margaret looks ________ her mother.
3) Although you're Spanish, you speak ________ a Japanese.
4) She wishes she had a house ________ her friend.
5) I've never met a person ________ you. Thanks for being my friend.

English: Like and As


Explanation and examples 

Like
  • When the meaning is "similar to" or "the same as". Cuando el significado es "similar a" o " lo mismo que".
    • Your house is really big. It's like a palace. (But it's not a palace)
    • She is a pilot, like me. (But she is not me)
  • Like + NOUN / PRONOUN.
    • He looks like a supermodel.
    • She studies like him.
  • To give an examplePara dar un ejemplo.
    • Some people, like Tom and Margaret, study Spanish.
    • They do some sports, like footbal and basketball.
    • He prefers Spanish food, like paella.
  • For descriptions
    • 'What's she like?' She's very kind with everybody.


AS
  • As + SUBJECT + VERB
    • She studied as she had been told,
    • They go to the school as everybody goes.
  • Comparative
    • She is as beautiful as her friend.
    • They work as hard as us.
  • To describe job or rolePara describir un trabajo o papel.
    • ​He works as an electrician. (He is an electrician) [My father is like an electrician. (He is not an electrician)]

Answers

1) Paul is really kind. He gave me this present as a birthday present.
2) My friend Margaret looks like her mother.
3) Although you're Spanish, you speak like a Japanese.
4) She wishes she had a house like her friend.
5) I've never met a person like you. Thanks for being my friend.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario