martes, 13 de mayo de 2014

English Grammar: When with present tense & present perfect

Please complete these sentences using the verbs in brackets. These sentences are about the future.

1) I _________ (tell) you something when I _________ (get) home.

2) I'm leaving now. When I _________ (arrive), I _________ (phone) you.

3) When she _________ (finish) with this job, she __________ (come) here.

4) Can I _________ (go) to your house when you _________ (finish) your homework?

INGLES - Telephone box

Answers:

1) I _________ (tell) you something when I _________ (get) home.

I'll tell you something when I get home.

2) I'm leaving now. When I _________ (arrive), I _________ (phone) you.

I'm leaving now. When I arrive, I'll phone you.

3) When she _________ (finish) with this job, she __________ (come) here.

When she finishes with this job, she'll come here.

4) Can I _________ (go) to your house when you _________ (fhinish) your homework?
Can I go to your house when you have finished your homework?


Extra examples & Explanation:

Future + when + present simple
(Futuro + cuando + presente simple)

- She'll be happy when the parcel arrives.
(Estará feliz cuando el paquete llegue)

- When they study, they'll pass their exams.
(Cuando estudien, aprobarán sus exámenes)

We can use present perfect after when, after, until or as soon as:
(Podemos usar el presente perfecto después de cuando, después, hasta o tan pronto como)

- This job will be finished as soon as I receive all the materials. OR  This job will be finished as soon as I've received all the materials.
(Este trabajo estará terminado tan pronto como reciba todos los materiales. O Este trabajo estará terminado tan pronto como haya recibido todos los materiales)

However, if one thing happens at the same time as the other thing, do not use present perfect.
(Sin embargo, si una cosa sucede al mismo tiempo que la otra, no utilices el presente perfecto)

- When I arrive, I'll tell Margaret that I saw you.
(Cuando llegue, le diré a Margaret que te vi)

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario