martes, 15 de abril de 2014

English Grammar: Passive - To have something done.

Using a form of "have something done".

A man is coming to install the new computer system on Monday. =>

We are having a new computer system installed on Monday.

Explanation:

Tenses

Why present continuous? Remember that present continuous is used to describe events or plans in the future that are arranged or fixed.
(Utilizamos el presente continuo para describir eventos o planes del futuro que ya están organizados.)

Example

I am meeting Jean tomorrow evening.

Note: It is important not to forget mentioning when this event or plan is going to happen. Otherwise, it could be thought that it is happening right now.
(Nota: Es importante no olvidar mencionar cuándo este evento o plan va a suceder. De otra forma, podría pensarse que está sucendiendo justo ahora.)

Have/Get something done

If someone does some work for us, the structure "have something done" can be used.
(Si alguien hace un trabajo para nosotros, podemos utilizar la estructura "tener algo hecho".)

Example:

Instead of “I am cutting my hair”, use "I am having my hair cut".   

As someone, usually the hairdresser, cuts the hair for you, the correct sentence is "I am having my hair cut". However, if it is done by yourself, the sentence is "I am cutting my hair myself".
(Como alguien, generalmente el/la peluquer@, nos corta el pelo, la oración correcta es "Estoy teniendo mi pelo cortado" [literalmente]. Sin embargo, si lo haces tú mismo, la oración es "me estoy cortando el pelo" -yo mismo-)

Another example:

Let's imagine that someone steals your computer. We can see that the computer is more important than the person who steals it. Then, we emphasize how important it is for you by placing “your computer” before the verb:
(Imaginemos que alguien roba tu ordenador. Podemos ver/imaginar que el ordenador es más importante que la persona que lo roba. Por lo tanto, enfatizamos cómo de importante es esto para ti colocando "tu ordenador" antes del verbo. Como sujeto de la oración).

Instead of “Someone stole my computer”, say "My computer was stolen" or "I had my computer stolen"

Please note that the agent has been omitted. The reason is because the agent is unimportant, unknown or obvious.
(Por favor, presta atención a que se ha omitido el agente. La razón es porque si no es importante, es desconocido o es obvio, no tiene sentido ponerlo)

My computer was stolen (by someone)

INGLES

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario