martes, 12 de agosto de 2014

"Wait for" Vs "Wait to"

Please fill the spaces with “for” or “to”

1) I'll always wait ______ you.
2) What kind of adventures are waiting ______ us?
3) After so many days abroad, I can't wait ______ get home.
4) David got off the train and waited ______ a taxi.
5) He was waiting ______ the taxis for half an hour.
6) Are you waiting ______ do anything special?
7) They are waiting ______ leave.

"Wait for" Vs "Wait to"


Answers

1) I'll always wait ______ you.
  • I'll always wait for you.
2) What kind of adventures are waiting ______ us?
  • What kind of adventures are waiting for us?
3) After so many days abroad, I can't wait ______ get home.
  • After so many days abroad, I can't wait to get home.
4) David got off the train and waited ______ a taxi.
  • David got off the train and waited for a taxi.
5) He was waiting ______ the taxis for half an hour.
  • He was waiting for the taxis for half an hour.
6) Are you waiting ______ do anything special?
  • Are you waiting to do anything special?
7) They are waiting ______ leave.
  • They are waiting to leave.

EXPLANATION

Wait for + noun

Will you wait for a friend? ¿Esperarás por un amigo?
I will be waiting for you. Te estaré esperando.
Can you wait for a while? ¿Puedes esperar durante un rato?
She is waiting for Saturday night. Ella está esperando (a) la noche del sábado.
They didn't wait for a replay. No esperaron a una repetición.
They had to wait for his return. Tuvieron que esperar a su retorno.
The rest of us were just waiting for the end. El resto de nosotros estuvimos sólo esperando el final.
My cousin is waiting for news. Mi primo está esperando las noticias.
Stacey waited for her husband's arrival. Stacey esperó la llegada de su marido.

Wait to + verb

Don't wait to get it. No esperes a cogerlo.
I wouldn't like to wait to have my hair cut. No me gustaría esperar a cortarme el pelo.
I can't wait to know my exams results. No puedo esperar a saber los resultados de mi exámenes.
It's too late for me. I can't wait to see Noa. I've to go now. Sorry! Es demasiado tarde para mi. No puedo esperar a ver a Noa. Tengo que irme ahora. ¡Lo siento!
I'm afraid I can't affort a new car. I'll wait to buy a new one. Me temo que no me puedo permitir un coche nuevo. Esperaré a comparme uno nuevo.
She waited to hear the story of him. Ella esperó a oir la historia de él.
No one waited to receive him. Nadie esperó a recibirle.
Arthur was waiting to take her to the concert. Arthur estuvo esperando para llevarle (a ella) al concierto.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario